Passports & Visas

You must have a valid
passport to enter France.

If you do not have one, you must apply for one immediately.

Do You Need a Visa?

Citizens of France + European Union, Switzerland

NO visa required to enter France

Citizens of Britain, Australia, USA, Canada

Currently NO visa required to be in France for up to 90 days. However, you MUST have a passport that is valid for three months past your proposed stay.

Please note: while US citizens are normally not required to obtain a visa for short summer study abroad in France there has been some discussion of this regulation changing. Please check with your local French consulate.

Citizens of All Other Countries

Verify with the French Consulate of your home country. If you do need a visa, we recommend you start the visa application as soon as possible, as it may take several weeks to process. If you need an official letter of admission for visa purposes, please email

Identification Cards

French law requires that all individuals carry a form of photo identification with them in France. We will issue you a Paris College of Art ID card, but we advise you to bring a second piece of identification when you travel to Paris, such as your driver’s license.

You can also purchase an International Student Identity Card (ISIC), which offers a range of discounts and benefits while overseas.